Lower Back Pain Immediate Relief – Why Exercise
How to get lower back pain immediate relief? There are several treatment options for lower back pain, such as medications, epidural steroid injections, physical therapy, and surgery. However, research shows that back pain exercises are also effective in strengthening your spine, reduce inflammation, and decrease pain.
Bear in mind certain exercises, such as leg lifts and sit-ups, can put pressure on your lumbar spine and lead to unnecessary strain. Excessive bending, such as toe touches, can also put strains on your spine, leading to severe discomfort and pain. Therefore, it is crucial to consult a qualified back pain specialist in Plano TX.
If you want lower back pain immediate relief, make sure you perform the right exercises. Your doctor can develop an effective and long-term exercise program or plan for you. According to our back pain specialist in Plano TX, the following exercises help lower back pain immediate relief. Read on!
Drawing-in Maneuver is one of the most effective back pain exercises that work on your transverse abdominis muscles. It is the muscle that supports your abdomen and spine because it wraps around the midline.
The exercise can stabilize your spinal joints and reduce discomfort and pain. It also prevents further injuries and increases your range of motion. Here is how you can perform the drawing-in maneuver.
- Lie on a comfortable mat
- Keep your feet flat on the mat
- Maintain a hip-width apart distance
- Place your hands on your sides
- Take a deep breath in and out
- Pull your abdomen toward your spine
- Engage your abdominal muscles
- Avoid tilting your hips
- Stay in this position for at least five seconds
- Repeat the exercise 3-5 times
The gluteus maximus is one of the strongest muscles in the buttock and abdomen area. It helps in hips movement and allows you to perform hip extension activities, such as squats. Research shows that weakened gluteus muscles can cause severe lower back pain. Therefore, MINT’s back pain specialist in Plano TX recommends stabilizing your hips joints by performing bridges.
- Lie on a flat surface and place your feet on the ground or floor
- Make sure your feet are flat on the mat or ground
- Maintain a hip-width apart distance between your feet
- Keep your hands on your sides and press your feet into the ground
- Slowly lift your hips to align your body in a straight line
- Don’t lift your shoulders from the floor
- Hold this position for 15 seconds and lower down
- Repeat the exercise at least 15 times in three sets
The child’s pose is a traditional exercise that focuses on different muscles, including hamstrings, gluteus maximus, and spinal extensors. It is an effective exercise for lower back pain immediate relief. When you perform the child’s pose regularly, it will help relieve tension and pain along your lumbar spine.
Not only does the child’s pose loosens your tight muscles in the lumbar spine, but it also increases blood flow along the spine and promotes flexibility. Follow the steps given below to perform the child’s pose.
- Get on your all fours and place your hips on your heels
- Fold forward by hinging at your hips
- Place your hands in front of your head
- Rest your abdomen on your thighs and extend your arms
- Make sure your arms are in front, and your palms face up
- Take deep breaths and relax your spine
- Stay in this position for at least 60 seconds
MINT’s back pain specialist in Plano TX, recommends pelvic tilts for lower back pain immediate relief. The exercise works on your abdominal muscles and strengthens your musculoskeletal structures in your spine, leading to reduce tightness and pain. Pelvic tilts can also support your hamstrings and glutes. Here are the steps to perform this exercise.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees
- Keep your feet flat on the ground or mat
- Engage your core muscles and flatten your spine
- Make sure you maintain a normal breathing rhythm
- Stay in this position for at least 10 seconds
- Come back to the starting position and take a few deep breaths
- Perform at least three sets with 5-10 repetitions.
Contact MINT Today
If you suffer from severe lower back pain, make sure you consult a doctor or physical therapist for medication or exercises. Although these exercises are effective against lower back pain, if your symptoms persist for more than three months, it is time to consult a neurosurgeon at MINT to get lower back pain immediate relief.