What Is The Best Stretching Exercise For Lower Back Pain? – More Stretching Exercises
Research studies have proven the efficacy of stretching for lower back pain relief, but the question is, “what is the best stretching exercise for lower back pain.” There are many stretching exercises for the lumbar spine. Some of them are very effective, while others can worsen the problem. That’s why you must consult your back pain doctor Plano TX. Your health provider will give the best exercises to relieve back pain Plano TX.
What Is the Best Stretching Exercise For Lower Back Pain?
People who deal with lower back pain often stay in bed because they think that resting will soothe their muscles and relieve pain. Although resting is useful, research shows that physical activity is much more beneficial for strengthening lumbar spine muscles.
You can perform low-impact aerobic exercises and stretching to increase flexibility and stability in your spine. This post will talk about various stretching exercises for lower back pain recommended by a qualified back pain doctor Plano TX.
What is the best stretching exercise for lower back pain? The number one exercise recommended by back pain doctor Plano TX is a cat-cow stretch. The exercise lengthens your contracted spinal muscles and helps soothe soreness. Here are the steps to do this exercise:
- Start in a tabletop position
- Keep your hands under your shoulders and knees under the hips
- Keep your spine parallel to the floor and round your back
- Stretch your back between your shoulder blades
- Stay in this position for 5-10 seconds
- Relax your abdomen and let it fall downward
- Arch your lumbar spine and hold for another 5-10 seconds
- Repeat the exercise for 30-60 seconds
Back pain doctor Plano TX say the supine twist can soothe your tight muscles. It also stretches your spinal muscles and glutes to alleviate back pain. The steps are:
- Lie on your back and bend your knees
- Keep your feet flat on the ground or mat
- Extend your arms in a “T” position to the side
- Make sure your shoulders remain on the ground
- Roll your knees to one side
- Hold this position for at least 20 seconds
- Use a pillow under your knees for extra comfort
The Pelvic Tilt
People with lower back pain can experience feeling like an immovable pelvic area. The pelvic tilt can increase the range of motion in your spine and relieve back pain Plano TX.
- Lie on the ground or a comfortable mat
- Bend your knees and keep your feet on the mat
- Relax your lumbar spine and maintain a neutral position
- Engage your core muscles and then flatten your spine against the mat
- Tilt your pelvis upward slightly and repeat the steps 15 times
What is the best stretching exercise for lower back pain? The stretching exercises mentioned above can relieve your back pain. You can also add a cow-face pose to your daily exercise regimen to further improve your symptoms. The exercise focuses on your outer glutes and helps loosen tight muscles in the lower spine. Here is how you can do a cow-face pose!
- Start the exercise in a seated position
- Bring your right heel toward the left glute
- Point your knees straight in front of you
- Bring the left leg on top of your right
- Stake your knees together and ensure they face straight
- Bend forward slightly to feel a good stretch
Forearm plank is an excellent variation of the traditional plank. The exercise focuses on your core muscles and eases pressure on your lower spine. It also strengthens your muscles and ligaments around the lumbar spine.
- Get into the push-up position
- Keep your forearms onto the ground
- Make sure your arms are under your shoulders
- Keep your forearms parallel or interlace your hands
- Engage your core and stay in this position for 30-60 seconds
- Return to the normal position
- Perform this exercise daily to relieve lower back pain
Bridge pose focuses on your sacrum and releases tension around your lower spine. It also activates your gluteus maximus and strengthens your lumbar spine muscles. Here is how you can do this exercise.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees
- Keep your feet on the ground
- Make sure your feet are hip-width apart
- Lift your hips by pressing into your feet
- Be sure your sit bones lengthen toward your knees
- Stay in this position for 20-40 seconds
Stretching can heal your lower back pain injury by strengthening your muscles and maintain their flexibility. It is crucial to perform stretching regularly to relieve back pain. Back pain doctor Plano TX recommends maintaining a healthy lifestyle to improve your overall lumbar spine health and wellbeing.
What is the best stretching exercise for lower back pain – you can do any of the above stretching exercises to reduce discomfort, stiffness, and pain in your lumbar spine. Contact MINT today and talk to our experienced neurosurgeon for more advanced solutions.